Sep
14

Join Around a Common Topic: Twitter Hash Tags

Twitter has long been claimed as a valued resource for education, but until recently I had struggled to see the important applications.  Until I discovered the power of the hash tag.

When someone Tweets, they send a message out into the world of Twitter where some may connect with it and some may not.  By adding a hash tag followed by a specific word or phrase, you can direct your Tweet to a certain interested group of people.  Say, I am interested in educational technology.  There is a hash tag #edTech.  This means that if I want to see the latest news in educational technology, that I can search #edTech and read all of the Tweets that are being shared about educational technology.  To add to this information, if I come across a great edTech resource, then I compose my tweet and include #edTech.  This ensures that others will see the resource I am sharing.

USE IT FOR CURRENT EVENTS:
Not only is it great for keeping up on the latest and greatest for education, Twitter can bring your students and classroom around a common topic.  Maybe you have students gathering current events about the world and you would like them to share these with their classmates.  You can develop a hash tag and have students tweet their resources with a short blurb to the hash tag you create.

USE IT FOR HOMEWORK QUESTIONS:
Want students to be able to ask their questions about their homework, while they are still at home?  Give them a hash tag to tweet to and you will find students start helping students find the answer to their questions.

How else would you use hash tags in the classroom?

One Response to “Join Around a Common Topic: Twitter Hash Tags”

1.   Sean Conner Says:

There are twitter aggregators out there too, and I find them helpful in tracking multiple hashtags. There are a number of them, but the one that I have used is Tweetdeck. It can kick a person’s ADD tendencies into overdrive, so I only turn it on when I can devote time to reading/checking out articles.